This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #OpticSmiles #CollectiveBias
When I was in my early 20's I never imagined that I would be so comfortable in my skin at the age of 41. In fact, I am more comfortable now than I was back then, and I think this is something that happens with many women. The teenage years are not exactly easy for many of us, I remember how uncomfortable I was with my looks, with myself and how much peer pressure there was. I was never one of the pretty girls, nor one of the popular ones, I was the loner geek girl who just wanted to fit in but didn't look the part. Unless you were one of the "pretty and popular" girls then you probably understand me. Now I am no longer trying to keep up with anyone, I no longer look for anyone's acceptance and all that matters is that I AM HAPPY WITH MYSELF. I love feeling confident in my skin, there are so many times that I look back and wish that I could send some of this confidence to the geeky, awkward 16 year old girl that I was. I think it would be amazing if every woman, whatever the age, would be full of confidence in their appearance.
Today I'd like to share a few tips for not looking your age.
1. Taking care of your skin has to be the #1 trick to not looking your age. And I don't mean hardcore skin care either. I am on the lazy side when it comes to skin care, and could never stick to any skin care regimen that needed more than three steps. The important thing is to keep your skin clean when not wearing makeup. I use all drugstore products, I'm a bit believer in skin care not having to be expensive.
At the end of the day I wash all the makeup off. If I am feeling especially lazy, which happens a lot then I just use makeup removing wipes instead of washing. I know it's not exactly recommended to do that but that beats going to bed with the makeup on. I always keep a package of wipes on my nigh stand, as well as my moisturizer.
2. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! I have combo skin but where I am dry, I am SUPER DRY. That's why I never skin moisturizer before bed and under my makeup. Even like that I am flaky during the winter so could you imagine if I skipped it?
3. Once you take care of the canvas that is your skin, then you have to think about the makeup that you put on it. I am somewhat of a foundation hoarder, and there is no other foundation that I love more than a matte one. But because I have dry skin (with an oily t-zone), then I find that matte foundations don't look the best on me. They enhance dry patches, they seep into my fine lines and they just make my skin look so thirsty. I still buy these foundations and work around them with extra moisturizing and a finishing dewy spray, but when I am having a really dry day then I reach for a dewy foundation. These make my skin look a million times better and will actually take a few years off my face. So very importantly, find the foundation that best suits your skin type.
4. More than a foundation hoarder, I am a lipstick lover! Seriously there is nothing more that I love that wearing lipsticks in as many varieties and colors as I can. Once again this is where the I prefer a matte finish which can be very drying on lips. Whenever I am not wearing lipstick, I coat my lips with a variety of lip balms.
Your smile is one of your biggest assets. Not only does smiling make the heart happy, it makes you look younger! I don't subscribe to what people say about smiling giving you wrinkles, I think the bigger the smile the better.
5. A whiter, more brilliant smile is another way to cut years off your age. I recently discovered Unlike most whitening toothpastes, Colgate® Optic White® Express White Toothpaste contains the professionally recommended ingredient hydrogen peroxide to whiten faster. Colgate® Optic White® Express White has 2 times more of the professionally recommended whitening ingredient (vs. Optic White Sparkling Mint TP).
Visit Walmart and look for the end cap featuring this product. On 2/28/15 there will be a roaming demo in 550 stores to promote this product. Ambassadors will be roaming aisle giving out $1 off coupons good on Colgate® Optic White® Express White. Find your store here: store list.
Like I said, I am now 41 and I am a grandmother of 6, but I am happy that I don't look like a "granny". At some point I will look like one and it will be okay because we can only hold off the years for so long. The point is to be happy at whatever age we happen to be. Right now if I can look younger than I am, then I am totally stoked to do so. What tips can you share to hold back the hands of time?